February 11, 2011



The bar and area near the front lobby.

I've been stressed out with deadlines and just freezing cold like most of the midwest... and most of my friends across the country... and thought an hour of wishing I were at this great hotel again would help cheer me up... and my readers as well. I took these pictures while there last year and pulled them off the computer this morning to share.

Designed by Morris Lapidus (one of his most important buildings) the Fountainbleau opened in 1954. It's not only well known for the celebrity and wealthy guests, but also its iconic pool and luxurious appointments that have graced the big screen in such movies as Goldfinger and Scarface.

With the billion dollar renovation and expansion, the hotel now boasts over 1500 rooms. The resort’s most distinguishing features include two new towers; 11 restaurants and lounges; and a 40,000-square-foot spa.

So enjoy the photos and escape from the cold air if only in your mind....


Another seating area in the lobby.


Isn't this a great idea. Watermelon in water... very refreshing.


They have an adult section away from children/pets that you can lounge and enjoy.

Another seating area where I saw a lot of people reading
using their iPads.

The signature bow-tie motif of Morris Lapidus repeated throughout.

I asked and this is one of their original wall sconces
near the elevators.

The detail of the terrazzo floors are amazing.

Postcard ca. 1960

The new glass addition I love. It reflects the palm trees and also the beautiful landscaping.

Reserved... just for me.

Ahhh...

I usually cannot handle commercial carpeting in hotels...
this is acceptable.

Glamorous door to the Aquamarine boutique near the entrance to the pool area.
It reminds me of homes in old movies.

Men's bathroom. You could apply this look for a
double vanity in your home.
(well, less the commercial paper towel dispenser)

Unusual abstracted frosted glass partition of one of the restaurants.
It reminds me of the trunks of a palm tree 'forest.'