September 4, 2010

Lalique kicks (gl)ass.

[Lalique Oak Chandelier]

After my incredible visit to Kohler a few weeks ago, I decided to stay in Chicago before returning home. While there I went to the new Lalique designer showroom located in the Merchandise Mart... my home away from home.

I was met by Bonnie Rhodes, the showroom manager at Lalique who gave me an impromptu tour. She was so knowledgeable about the product and expert at Lalique history. What a complete honor it was to work with her.

This vase was so amazing in person, I had to touch it. Created originally in the 1920s the celebrates the Langudoc vase was meant to celebrate the vegetation found in the south of France.


Figure and Grape Panels. Designed originally for the Orient Express, these are available as one or multiple panels. Awhile back I saw these panels in a design by a Chicago designer in panels for a concealed media center in one of the designer rooms for Dream House. Another option is that of them being clear or a lustre back (a process known only to Lalique so no illumination from behind is needed). While there I saw in the Lalique catalogue (which found its way home with me) a photograph of a modern, outdoor shower using the panels for accent. Gorgeous.

The Turtle Vase. This vase is marvelous. Perfect size for anything like a dining room table, a centerpiece on a coffee table... even the best item to place one or several flowers into. Made as a limited edition of under 1000.



This light, the Seville sconce took my breath away. Available with or without the black accent (it would also be available as clear crystal), the sophisticated light would sparkle any ole space in a grand style.

But what you may not know, is that Lalique acquired Daum and Haviland China. There were so many great examples there... I'll save those for another post. Don't you just want to have all of these great things?