September 11, 2010

Couture Cover Up

[Adena Pin Ring, ca 1799, Paris.]

I have a design board going right now and I needed some spectacular wall covering as this small bedroom needed some ultimate drama and thinking for one wall (although I would love to do the whole thing) I needed something ultimately special.

Adelphi historic wall papers were exactly the ticket. Available only through designers I knew my clients wouldn't be seeing this all about the town giving them a unique, custom look. The patterns are historically correct reproductions of old patterns, but available in the original color plus some new ones they developed.

Enjoy, because as you'll see good design is good design and to me, they're classic and can be for any home traditional or modern.

The designer of this pattern, Grove, has not yet been identified. Mysterious, I love the stylized trees and figures. Note from their website: "This pattern is licensed to Adelphi Paper Hangings by the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, Smithsonian Institution."

The Bees and Stars pattern, ca 1805, was created when geometrics were at the height of popularity having originated in France and migrating to the United States.

L'Oiseau Moderne is illustrated in an advertisement by its American importer, W.H.S. Lloyd Company, in the March 1930 issue of The House Beautiful. I love the yellow and black birds and vegetation. Art Deco all the way.

Philadelphia Harlequin was probably designed by Anthony Chardon around 1790, a sample of it was found in the lining of a trunk (in two colorways) , the other sample owned by The National Parks Service supposedly coming from a residence near Independence Park. Can you believe it was created that long ago? Gorgeous.