August 31, 2010

Design: the Swedes have it

Long held as a major design center, I wanted to share just three of the many gorgeous things I found during my very short, but memorable stay in Sweden.


Waldemarsudde flower pot. I had to get some of these... excellent design they were designed by Prince Eugen in 1914. Although now created in five sizes, the original smaller size was created to fit under his mother's Portrait in the living room at Waldemarsudde (a palace now museum). Gustavsberg is the manufacturer and the only place you can buy it is at the Museum shop there or its online store. I had mine sent, but be careful, shipping is very expensive. The online store shows you how much shipping is.




Sandberg fabrics. Although they have showrooms in NY and 49 other showrooms all over the world, I had to get a fix. The pattern I love is Asta shown here in black. The pattern below is Kina Slott. Kina Slott is the Chinese Pavilion at Drottingholm Palace, the residence of the Royal Family of Sweden.


CPB 2091 Silver Collection designed by HRH Prince Carl (Carl Bernadotte). Carl's design for the infamous silver company MEMA/GAB (founded 1849) includes a 7-piece place setting, a cake server and, new this year, a silver cup. Bernadotte, the family name, isn't new to design. The Prince's great uncle, Sigvard Bernadotte, was a designer for many years for the Danish silver firm Georg Jenson ( I have a few cuff links of his) and Christineholm China.