October 28, 2010

Japan made me do it...

One of my favourite places to go while in New York is the Museum of the City of New York. Located on 5th avenue, it's a stones throw away where I usually am so I'm always drawn to enter it's doors.

From previous posts, you know how I get all excited about museums, so I wanted to share the upcoming event... you will want to go I'm sure.

On November 3rd, design expert and author, Phil Patton, Chay Costello, the Manager of MoMA retail and Adam Glickman, formally of Tokiton magazine [could it get any better?] the three will discuss the progression, prevalence, and production of the familiar, everyday objects that were born from New York and Japan’s enduring legacy of cultural design exchange.

Japan has been an influence on artists/designers such as Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Tiffany as well as the now-popular manga and anime. I think it will be a great talk and certainly worth your while.

I should mention, this is in conjunction with the not-to-be-missed exhibition Samurai in New York: The First Japanese Delegation, 1860 [showing through November 7th].

Reservations required: 917-492-3395 or e-mail programs@mcny.org.
$6 museum members; $8 seniors and students; $12 non-members

And the best part???
$6 when you mention Design Guy University [thanks!]